by Jill Schoenberg
A recent study shows that a whopping 75% of girls with low self-esteem “reported engaging in negative and potentially harmful activities, such as disordered eating, cutting, bullying, smoking or drinking, when feeling badly about themselves — compared with 25 percent of girls with high self-esteem.”
Before I disclose some wonderful self-esteem building tips with you, I want to share some important information that’s essential to fully understanding self-esteem.
First – Self-esteem fluctuates throughout our lifetime, therefore one’s sense of self esteem will not ALWAYS be high. In fact low self-esteem is a natural occurrence for everyone. The key is to monitor how long the lows last relative to the highs.
Second – Building and improving self-esteem takes time and is not a quick fix that occurs overnight. But don’t let this discourage you (and keep reading to discover a simple, yet powerful self esteem improvement tip!).
Third – Maintaining self-esteem requires daily attention because it’s a never-ending (and lovely) journey we all travel. This is not a burden, rather it is a wonderful gift to honor and cherish.
Building a healthy sense of self-esteem in kids during childhood is key to a happy life and to greater chances of a successful life as an adult.
Ten Effective Tips to Build Self Esteem in Kids
1. Take time to do things you enjoy.
2. Get something done that you have been putting off.
3. Do things that make use of your own special talents and abilities.
4. Dress in clothes that make you feel good about yourself.
5. Give yourself rewards.
6. Make your living space a place that honors the person you are.
7. Display items that you find attractive or that remind you of your achievements.
8. Learn something new or improve your skills.
9. yourself. Keep them simple and easy, such as listening to your favorite song. Begin doing those things that you know will make you feel better about
10. Do something nice for another person.
Just imagine how great you’ll feel when you are enjoying one of these tips by sharing it with your precious child.
Healthy Self Esteem Information
FACT! Self-Esteem is an ongoing journey, therefore daily action is required to build and improve one’s self-esteem.
Building and improving self-esteem is a life skill that is all about self-care and that is very similar to body care. You already know that in order to keep our bodies in good shape we must take daily actions. Bathing, grooming, eating, exercising and relaxing are all example of essential body-care actions.
Thinking about improving self-esteem from this perspective, there are two primary components to building a strong sense self esteem in kids.
– Building healthy self-esteem takes time and effort.
– Maintaining self-esteem requires daily attention because it is a never-ending 9and lovely) journey we all travel.
Healthy self-esteem is a life skill we must teach and instill in our children.